Amar Sangha, MSW, RCSW is a Registered Clinical Social Worker. He is a member in good standing with the BC College of Social Workers and the BC Association of Social Workers.
Amar hold a Masters of Social Work from Dalhousie University, as well as a Masters in Science in Public Administration and Public Policy from the London School of Economics in the UK.
Amar has worked as a team leader, social worker, clinician, counsellor, and group facilitator for over 18 years with such employers as the Ministry of Children and Family Development, Boys and Girls Club of South Coast BC, Fraser Health Authority, and Stroh Health Care.
As a counsellor, Amar has helped people find balance in their lives and move forward in a more healthy and supportive direction including helping people with:
- Expressing your feelings
- Improving life satisfaction
- Developing a more positive outlook
- Reducing stress
- Living a healthier lifestyle
- Growing personally and professionally
The values Amar believes in as a clinical social work and counselling professional include:
- Respecting diversity
- Embracing empathy
- Respecting self-determination and client’s choices
- Being non-judgmental
Approach/ Specialized Training
Amar uses a holistic approach to counselling that incorporates the many components of a person’s life such as the emotional, physical, social, cultural, spiritual, and occupational.
He works with young adults (19+), adults, seniors, and elders.
He uses the following approaches and treatment interventions:
- Bio-Psycho-Social-Spiritual Model
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Stages of Change
- Strengths Based Counselling
- Supportive Counselling
- Systems Theory
- EMDR Basic Training, BC School of Professional Psychology
- Online Addiction Medicine Diploma Program, BC Centre on Substance Use
- Coaching Out of the Box, Fraser Health Authority
- Core Indigenous Cultural Safety (ICS) Mental Health Training through Provincial Health Services Authority
- Taught the provincially mandated Relationship Violence Program (RVP). This course is for adult men on probation who have been charged with domestic violence.
Areas of Practice
- Life Transitions
- Job Loss
- Work Related Issues
- Return to Work
- Communication and Assertiveness Skills
- Relationship Differences
- Stress Management
- Problem Solving and Goal Setting
- Personal Growth and Spirituality
- Sexuality and Coming Out Issues
- Career and Post-Secondary Exploration
Languages and Location
Amar also offers services in Punjabi and has a centrally located home office in North Delta.